If you’re new to the world of sports betting, you may be wondering what prop bets are. These are just simple wagers but may vary across sportsbooks. We’ll cover the basics, such as what prop bets are and how they work, as well as some more advanced concepts.
Best Ohio Props Betting Sites
What are Props in Sports Betting
Props, short-term for propositions, are wagers that are based on the occurrence or non-occurrence of certain events within a game. These propositions can be anything from individual player stats to team milestones, and even include bets on which team will win a league championship. They are usually offered as single-event wagers but can also come in parlay form.
Compared to futures, props have shorter timelines, often just for one game. They can also be more specific than the typical point spread bet.
Types of Prop Bets
Proposition bets can be categorized into three main types: game props, team props, and player props. Let’s have a quick look:
- Game Props: These are bets related to the outcome of a game or match, such as who will win or how many points will be scored.
- Team Props: These are wagers on team performance, such as which team will score first or which team will have the most total rebounds in a game.
- Player Props: These are bets on individual player performance, such as how many points a particular player will score or which player will have the most assists in a game.
Examples of Prop Bets
NFL Prop Bets
- Game Prop: Who will be the First Touch down Scorer
- Team Prop: First Drive Result for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Player Prop: Will Joe Burrow finish with 220 passing yards?
MLB Prop Bets
- Game Prop: Total Runs in the First Inning
- Team Prop: Who will hit the Most Home Runs?
- Player Prop: Will Mike Trout get two or more hits?
NBA Prop Bets
- Game Prop: Which team will score first?
- Team Prop: How Many three-pointers will the Cleveland Cavaliers have?
- Player Prop: Will LeBron James have more than 15 points in the first quarter?
NHL Prop Bets
- Game Prop: Will the first goal be scored before the first five minutes?
- Team Prop: Which team will have more penalty minutes?
- Player Prop: Will Johnny Gaudreau score more than one goal?
How To Place Prop Bets?
Just like other betting options (like Moneylines and Point Spreads), placing a prop bet is simple. All you have to do is select a sportsbook, choose the prop bet you want to make, and enter your wager amount. If your bet wins, you’ll get your winnings paid out as per the odds posted at the time of placing the wager.
4 Tips for Prop Betting
1. Do your research
This is especially important if you’re betting on player props. Make sure you know everything there is to know about the player’s recent form, injury status, and any other relevant information. These stats are available through various online sources like ESPN and Sports Illustrated. Being updated on the latest news can also be an advantage.
2. Try Live Betting
Live betting is a great way to take advantage of changing odds in real time. Live betting can be done on games that are already in progress, allowing you to get better value for your money than regular pre-match bets.
3. Bet with Your Head, Not Over It
Just like any other form of gambling, prop betting often involves a high degree of risk, so it’s important to bet responsibly and within your means. Don’t try to chase losses, and if you’re feeling particularly lucky don’t be afraid to take bigger risks.
4. Shop Around for the Best Odds
Shop around for the best odds available at different Ohio sportsbooks. This will not only give you an edge in terms of value for your money but also let you compare different lines and props available across multiple sportsbooks.